Saturday, January 7, 2012

Question: What do you do when you can't finish your homework?

Answer: Screw it and blog instead.

"When I look into your eyes, it's like watching the night skies, or a beautiful sunrise."
- "I Won't Give Up", Jason  Mraz

Beautiful beautiful song. Give it a listen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdN5GyTl8K0&ob=av2e

Anyway. This blog is going to be completely unrelated to fashion, just a heads up.

So the topic of school comes around, and I'm not gonna lie. School is a love-hate thing, for me, it leans more towards hate, but honestly, the only thing that makes it moderately bearable is when you're doing what you love.

I loved cross country when I was in high school. I was very mediocre at running, but it's one of the best experiences I've ever had. The team bonding, the sisterhood, if you will, is amazing and when you're all doubling over with cramps and freaking impossible workouts, you develop a bond with those people. I definitely did not not do cross country to put it on my college application and that was what made all the difference.... but who am I kidding, putting it on my app wouldn't do much since my biggest honor would be a participation ribbon in a meet hahaha.

Also, I loved writing in high school, and I didn't write for the school newspaper because at our school, you had to be like... a super talented writer with a huge commitment to journalism, and I didn't have the time, so I just wrote for fun, entered a few competitions and what do you know? I was actually pretty good at that. And why? BECAUSE I FREAKIN' LOVED IT.

I also did a lot of volunteer stuff, but I volunteered for activities that I had interest in. Colleges want to see your passion, not the stuff that you think they'd like. So do your research! The internet is an amazing tool to get started, but be sure to network and talk to friends and relatives. I'm sure people who are in college would have great advice for you and be more than willing to share. So set up a couple coffee dates with some old mentors and friends and you'll be amazed at what they have to say.

You guys, in short, the best advice I have is to try everything you think you might like your freshman year, and then when you find out what you do  like, stop trying to do everything and just stick with what you love. It's really just that simple. Because the worst thing is to live in regret and wish you would've tried something else when you're a senior stuck with boring clubs just because you thought it would look good on college application. If you live like that for college applications, you're probably going to end up living your entire life doing stuff you hate. And I'd rather scrape a living traveling the world and taking pictures of city skylines than to be CEO of like a Fortune 500 company and not have time for my family.

And as a girl, I can't wait to have a family and I'd much rather spend time with my future family and friends and just live my life with no regrets... ya dig?

Maybe I'm an idealist for saying all that, or maybe it's modern family getting to my head. Which by the way is my all time favorite show. Love love love them Dunphys(:

No comments:

Post a Comment